Minnesota Today®

Minnesota Today podcast art
Minnesota Today
MPR News

Minnesota Today from MPR News brings you the most important stories from around the state. All on your schedule. Get updated on the latest news in about five minutes, every weekday morning and evening.

Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, YouTube or RSS

Subscribe to Podcast
St. Paul Mayor Melvin Carter announced Wednesday the city will join San Francisco in taking legal action against President Donald Trump. The Department of Justice has charged a Maplewood man with using AI technology to produce sexual abuse images of children in his care, as a school district employee from 2021 until last month.
Gov. Tim Walz says he's staying out of Minnesota's U.S. Senate race, and the city of Minneapolis is moving ahead on plans to redevelop the site where a Kmart store has blocked Nicollet Avenue for nearly 50 years.
All Minnesota GOP lawmakers in Congress joined their fellow Republicans in voting for a budget framework that includes $2 trillion in spending cuts. Tribal leaders are asking members of Congress to address funding concerns and uphold federal government’s treaty obligations to tribes.
Rideshare drivers in Minnesota would be able to unionize under a bill state lawmakers plan to introduce, and warm temperatures and a dwindling snowpack have forced organizers of this year's John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon in northeast Minnesota to move the starting location.
A federal judge jailed a Feeding Our Future defendant Monday over allegations of witness tampering. And organizations that support victims of domestic violence say a federal funding freeze announced by the Trump administration has put their work in limbo, and will likely lead to cuts.
Two passengers have filed separate federal lawsuits following last week's Minneapolis-to-Toronto Delta crash. Twin Cities resident Hannah Krebs, filed one of the suits while the other was filed by a Texas man. Krebs’ lawsuit claims the crash was caused by the flight crew's "gross negligence and recklessness." And, after more than 15 years, change may be coming for the Northstar Commuter Rail between the Twin Cities and Big Lake. MnDOT and the Met Council Monday said they’ve started to study replacing that train service with buses, as a potentially more cost-effective option.
St. Paul Police say a man charged in three sexual assault cases is facing additional charges thanks to DNA evidence. Police warn the man met his victims on dating apps and websites, then threatened victims with a knife or handgun while assaulting them. And in early March the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources and the University of Minnesota will begin work on a new elk project. 
State officials say the payroll tax for a paid family and medical leave program will be significantly higher than initially expected, and Xcel Energy and the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission have agreed on a new 15-year production plan, which both say will be good for the environment and consumers.
New data from the Minnesota Department of Health shows seasonal virus hospitalizations are trending downward. And Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison says President Donald Trump’s executive order banning transgender students from competing in sports consistent with their gender identity violates state law.
A nonprofit says the Trump Administration has frozen funds for a more than $2.5 million project to improve the Mississippi River corridor in parts of Minnesota, and Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey has vetoed the city council's plans for George Floyd Square.