Tim Nelson is a general assignment reporter for MPR News. He has covered education and the Republican National Convention for MPR. He is a 20-year veteran of newspapers across the Upper Midwest. He spent 16 years at the St. Paul Pioneer Press, where he covered city government. He has also covered crime, written a recreation page and produced blogs and podcasts. A native of Coon Rapids, Minn., Nelson attended Gustavus Adolphus College and the University of Minnesota. He's an avid runner and once swam across lake Minnetonka. He lives in St. Paul with his wife, Erika, daughter Emma and son Gunnar.
- Did you get mystery seeds in the mail? Don't plant them
- Get your Minnesota State Fair food fix with a drive-thru 'food parade'
- Special session enters second week with little accomplished
- Hundreds march in Roseville in wake of vandalized Black Lives Matter signs
- Severe storms bring large hail, damaging winds, likely tornadoes to Minnesota and western Wisconsin
- Second shooting at Powderhorn Park in Minneapolis rattles neighbors
- 3M developing paper-based coronavirus test that could give results in minutes
- GOP launches inquiry on police response to protests, riots in Twin Cities
- Twin Cities Marathon canceled over COVID-19
- 11 people in wounded in Minneapolis shooting