Tim Nelson is a general assignment reporter for MPR News. He has covered education and the Republican National Convention for MPR. He is a 20-year veteran of newspapers across the Upper Midwest. He spent 16 years at the St. Paul Pioneer Press, where he covered city government. He has also covered crime, written a recreation page and produced blogs and podcasts. A native of Coon Rapids, Minn., Nelson attended Gustavus Adolphus College and the University of Minnesota. He's an avid runner and once swam across lake Minnetonka. He lives in St. Paul with his wife, Erika, daughter Emma and son Gunnar.
- Minnesota sheriff's office investigating after drone approaches kids, drops candy and disappears
- One injured in shooting at Oakdale movie theater
- Clydedale horses trample, kill owner at St. Cloud baseball game promotion
- Twin Cities' Animal Humane Society receives record $6 million donation
- Attorneys: Daunte Wright family has a $3.25M settlement agreement with city of Brooklyn Center
- Minneapolis assisted-living facility becomes shelter for homeless youth
- Feds bust Stillwater prison meth ring, indict inmate and guard
- Charges: Motorcyclist clocked at 144 mph said he was going fast 'because it was hot'
- 47 cats removed from vehicle at Minnesota rest stop in sweltering heat
- New memorial dedicated in Blaine honors fallen soldier